AnimeNEXT offers a wide variety of panels and workshops covering many subjects such as anime, manga, music, and other aspects of Japanese culture and pop-culture. Panels and workshops typically run between one and two hours, with a mix of audio visual aids.
- Go to the website and find the Panels submission link
- Fill out the form with any of the relevant fields
- You will be required to submit AT LEAST one (1) panel AND no more than four (4) panels
- For the Panel descriptions please provided NO MORE THAN four (4) sentences
- Make sure to specify the run time for all of your panels
- Select a desired reimbursement method and fill in the appropriate information
What is considered a panel?
A number of things can be considered a panel for the purposes of AnimeNEXT applications.
- Discussion Panels: This type of event usually will feature 3 to 5 individuals to whom questions will be posed often by a moderator although audience questions may be accepted (depending on how you want to run your event). Some examples of topics include the nature of criticism, state of the industry, future of fandom, particulars about an anime, manga, genre or creator.
- Lecture/Presentation: This is the more common type of anime convention panel. In these events anywhere between 1-4 individuals will present on a topic of their choosing. This differs from a discussion panel in that questions may not necessarily be posed by the audience or host and it has the express purpose of educating the attendees. Often visual aids are used such as a slideshow or video during these events.
What is a workshop?
A workshop is an event normally between 1 and 2 hours long, where the purpose is to teach a skill or art form in a practical setting. Often these will require extra set-up and supplies. This also includes events that have physical activity. Remember, these events, like panels should have an informative or educational mission.
What is NOT a panel or workshop?
- In-character Q&A Panels: This type of event often involves up to 10 panelists in costume being asked questions by the audience and the panelist will answer the question in character. These will be rejected without further question.
- Song or Dance Performances: If the event only (or the bulk of the panel) includes only people performing, it will be rejected.
Other panel guidelines:
AnimeNEXT is organized by Universal Animation whose mission is to educate about Japanese Culture, in particular popular culture. As such, events that do not connect or relate to these topics will be given lowest priority in the approval process. For example, if you’re applying to do a panel about the 2000s pop culture movements, make sure it focuses anime, manga, etc. Space is limited so priority must be given to our core topics
Please check this page often as these policies are subject to change.
- Each panel can have up to 3 reimbursed panelists (any number of other panelists who are not reimbursed for a panel).
- If a panelist presents 1 panel, they will be reimbursed $35 toward to the cost of their registration
- If a panelist present 2 or more panels, they will be reimbursed the full cost of their registration
- A panelist cannot be reimbursed more than they paid for their registration (e.g. if you are receiving a press badge you CANNOT receive a reimbursement)